Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pork Curry


Yummy yummy recipe for a quick meal! I found the basis for the recipe on Allrecipes.com in a search for pork curry, then of course, changed it all up to suit me. The recipe instructions were to bake the curry but I was in a 30 minute or less mode...so I did it all stove top.


The basic recipe:

2# pork tenderloin cut in 1/2" strips, tossed in 1/2 cup flour seasoned only with red pepper flakes; 1 can coconut milk, 3 tsp curry powder, 2 beef bouillion cubes, 1 onion diced, 3 cloves garlic, 1 pound of mushrooms, 1/2 cup marsala or white wine, and 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter... After reading the reviews [not spicy enough, not enough salt] I changed it all up - of course.


I had about 1/2# thin sliced pork loin, sliced that into 1/2" strips, tossed with about 2 tbsp flour, salt and red pepper flakes, sauteed, tossed in onion and garlic, let that saute.


Prepare your nose for heaven! 1 can of light coconut milk, 3 tsp Penzey's sweet curry, 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter [see, I can follow a recipe!!!], taste- still needs some salt! Add about a half a small head of cauliflower, almost 8 oz white mushrooms, simmer - needs something....chili paste, little more salt, sprinkle of Penzeys Vindaloo spice...simmer some more [all this is less than 20 minutes] add a handful of frozen green peas and maybe 2 tsp fine chopped cilantro, serve up over Calrose rice [that I bought to experiment with onigri].


I'm not sure what the salt issue is, I used sea salt - so maybe should have used Kosher, or maybe its just me! I didn't use the bouillion and don't think it needed it for taste, but maybe for the salt.


This recipe could have used probably twice as much veggie, the ones I used were great and I would just double up those...potato would have been good, especially if you didn't want to do rice and if you use more veggie the sauce could have been stretched out a little with some broth.