Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tuesday January 15, 2008 Green Chili Stew

Just a quick note to post a wonderful recipe. I found this on Exotic Food Emporium. I've got this cooking right now [working at home] and it is making me drool!!! it is so good. I won't have cheese with mine, but I've got cilantro, sweet onion, and jalapeno already minced in the fridge, so I'll toss that with some diced avocado....yummmm. BTW - this is not a HOT dish, it has a bite - but not like you'd have with serrano or jalapeno peppers

Green Chili Stew
2 lbs lean beef round or pork [I'm using pork loin]
2 t. salt
2 T. oil
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 cans whole green chilies, chopped (6-8 whole chilies total) try to find Hatch New Mexico peppers, I only had one can, so I added a handful of frozen poblano pepper strips
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Cube meat, sprinkle with salt and fry until brown in oil. Add potatoes to browned meat together with onion, garlic, salt, chili and enough water to cover. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender. Serve with cheddar cheese and tortillas on the side.

I am using my new Todd English "green pans" - my Christmas gift to me and I just LOVE these pans. Nothing sticks - so far - with just a smidgeon of oil and clean up is a swish with the sponge and rinse. Who knows how they'll be in the long run, but for now I'm happy.

I'll update when we've had the stew - maybe even try my hand at posting pictures!


The completed stew - yummy!!!

1 comment:

progressivegrannie said...

I have to try this, it looks yummy!